Another new figure painting ebook.
This one is calledFigure Painting in Water Colours with a foreword by George Sheringham, edited by Geoffrey Holme.
This one is a selection of 24 figure paintings from the early part of the twentieth century. It was published in 1923.
Here is a list of the illustrations contained in it.
The three paintings shown are: The Bather, by Randolph Schabe; Miss Eliza Wedgewood with Miss Sargent Sketching, by John Singer Sargent; Pytheus Buys Amber, by Olive Carleton Smyth.
LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
1. Sweet Violets. By Anna Airy, R.E., R.I.
2. A Lady of the Court. By John Austen
3. Cafe Scene. By Walter Bayes, A.R.W.S.4. Building the Ricks. By Frank Brangwyn, R.A., A.R.W.S.
5. Caravans. By Frank Brangwyn, R.A., A.R.W.S.
6. Decorative Panel. By Edmund Dulac
7. The Chinese Mirror. By W. Russell Flint, R.W.S.,R.S.W.
8. Ventures. By W. Russell Flint, R.W.S., R.S.W.
9. Tattle, a half-wilted Beau - Design for a stage dress. By C. Lovat Fraser
10. Every woman shall borrow of her neighbour, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment. By D. W. Hawksley, R.I.
11. Dorcas. By D. W. Hawksley, R.I.
12. Dogs and Children. By Laura Knight, A.R.W.S.
13. Peasants. By Henry Lamb
14. Days of Yore. By A. J. Munnings, A.R.A., A.R.W.S.
15. The Piper. By A. J. Munnings, A.R.A., A.R.W.S.16. Study for the central figures of A Western Wedding. By Sir William Orpen, K.B.E., R.A., R.I.
17. Bargains at Caledonian Market. By H. Davis Richter, R.I.
18. Le Reveil. By F. Cayley Robinson, A.R.A., R.W.S.
19. The Bargello. By Henry Rushbury, A.R.W.S.
20. The Maypole in Dorset Decoration on silk for a screen. By Albert Rutherston
21. Miss Eliza Wedgwood with Miss Sargent sketching. By John S. Sargent, R.A., Hon. R.S.A., R.W.S.
22. The Bather. By Randolph Schwabe
23. The new Lodgers. By Claude A. Shepperson, A.R.A., A.R.W.S.
24. Pytheas buys Amber. By Olive Carleton Smyth
The last painting listed, and the third image shown above was recently sold at a Sotheby's auction entitled "Scottish Pictures."
here is a link to 3 of the paintings by Olive Carleton Smyth entered in the aution.
Another painter represented in the book who is also represented in the same auction is Sir William Russell Flint. Here is a link to his paintings in the auction.
I spent several months researching Edmund Dulac's work a few years ago as an assistant designer on Tornerose at Den Norske Opera Nasjonalballetten (Norway's National Ballet).
We used a selection of Dulac's work as the basis for the scenery at the request of the choreographer. Dulac was a very popular book illustrator at the beginning of the 2oth century. A representative collecton of his paintings is available at Amazon: Dulac's Fairy Tale Illustrations in Full Color.
Another painter included in this ebook, Frank Brangwyn, made an extensive study of the figure using photographs. A 2001 book by John Wood collects for the first time the photographic studies Brangwyn used in his work: Frank Brangwyn: Photographs, Nude and Figure Studies.
There was an exhibit of his photographs at the Ditchling Museum in Ditchling Village, East Sussex, England in 2004.
This is a poster from that exhibit.
Here is a link to a BBC slideshow of his work.